Update at 10pm: Gujarat is now close to the 2,000 mark as far as the number of corona positive cases is concerned as Ahmedabad registered over 150 positive cases on Monday, a majority of these cases were detected in containment clusters following intensified testing. Gujarat now has 1,939 positive cases and 71 deaths.
Update at 8.45pm: Coronavirus curfew extended in parts of Ahmedabad, Surat and Rajkot until April 24, said Gujarat DGP.
Update at 8.30pm: Gujarat reports 93 new Covid-19 cases; tally 1,939.
Update at 8.10pm: With four more deaths due to Covid-19 in Gujarat, toll goes up to 71, said health officials.
Update at 7.20pm: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday called up 99-year-old Ratnabhai Thummar, a former MLA from Gujarat, and hailed him for donating his savings for the fight against coronavirus pandemic.
Update at 5.20pm: Two more test positive for Covid-19 in Bharuch taking total cases to 25.
Update at 4.50pm: The number of coronavirus cases in Ahmedabad city rose to 1,168 on Monday after 91 more people tested positive for the infection, an official said. Three more Covid-19 patients died, taking the death toll in the city to 34, Ahmedabad Municipal Commissioner Vijay Nehra said.
Update at 3.45pm: Twenty-four personnel from Ahmedabad police have so far tested positive for novel coronavirus and another 200 have been home quarantined as a precautionary measure, said Control Room Deputy Commissioner of police Vijay Patel on Monday.
Update at 3.30pm: The number of coronavirus cases in Gujarat rose to 1,851 after 108 more people tested positive for the disease on Monday, a health official said. The state also reported four more deaths, taking the Covid-19 toll to 67.
*With Covid cases rising in the city, marketplaces and vending points may become major sites for disease dissemination. Therefore, the civic body from today will install portable handwashing stations at 10 major vegetable and milk vending points in each zone.
*After frontline health workers and police personnel tested positive for Covid-19, now it is the turn of firemen. On Sunday, the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) reported that a 42-year-old driver of the fire department from Naroda fire station reported positive along with a 40- year-old woman and an 18-year-old girl. The three have been admitted for treatment. Since the Naroda fire station also houses residential quarters for the firemen, the entire complex of 42 families has been put under quarantine.
* Senior police officials of the city police were shocked when the control room received a message from a head constable who had tested corona positive and was admitted to in Civil Hospital on Sunday morning at 4.45am. The message mentioned the policemen hadn’t received beds and there were no fans in the ward. The head constable was admitted with six other policemen in Civil Hospital on the night of April 18.
* There is great confusion among Amdavadis about the relaxation they are given from 8am to noon to buy essential items. Shops selling essential items remain open during this time and people come out to shop. But DGP Shivanand Jha has said that no official permission has been given to people to come out in that period during the lockdown.
* A perplexing case has struck municipal health team on Saturday morning, contacts of Covid-19 cases are turning positive 26 to 34 days after they first came in contact with the patient. Five such cases have emerged over the last 10 days.
*11:12am 108 new Covid-19 positive cases reported in Gujarat today. Now the total positive cases in the state stand at 1,851, including 106 discharged and 67 deaths: Health and family welfare department, Gujarat.
108 new Covid-19 positive cases reported in Gujarat today. Now the total positive cases in the state stand at 1,851… https://t.co/tYaJ4QnYlX
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) 1587361322000
*10:52am Of the 1,851 positive cases in Gujarat, 1,676 are under hospitalization whereas some 14 patients are in a critical condition and on ventilator support.
*10:48am A 43-year-old male patient discharged from Sir T Hospital in Bhavnagar. This takes the total discharged patients to 106 in Gujarat.
A 43-year-old male patient discharged from Sir T https://t.co/9d7i9Dw6Mo #Bhavnagar.This takes the total discharge… https://t.co/3q8ZUEi3to
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) 1587359909000
*10:46am Of the 91 new Covid cases reported in Ahmedabad in the past 12 hours, most are from Gaekwad Haveli, Raikhad, Jamalpur, Dariyapur, Shahpur, Shahibaug, Kalupur and Danilimda, among others.
Of the 91 new #Covid cases reported in #Ahmedabad in the past 12 hours, most are from Gaekwad Haveli, Raikhad, Jam… https://t.co/D4nrc4vobo
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) 1587359773000
*10:46am Four more Covidー19 patients succumb in Gujarat — two each from Ahmedabad and Surat. The death toll of Coronavirus patients in the state is now at 67 in Gujarat.
Four more #COVIDー19 patients succumb in #Gujarat — two each from #Ahmedabad and Surat. The death toll of… https://t.co/GUCHcKDJBC
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) 1587359702000
*10:45am Gujarat reports 108 new Covid positive cases today. The tally now reaches to 1,851 cases in the state. Of the new cases, 91 cases from Ahmedabad alone – majority from hotspot areas.
#Gujarat reports 108 new #Covid positive cases today. The tally now reaches to 1,851 cases in the state. Of the new… https://t.co/njMn3OZlPz
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) 1587359656000
*10:45am Seven Covidー19 patients succumb in Gujarat — all with no co-morbidities. The death toll of #Coronavirus patients in the state is now at 67 in Gujarat.
*10:41am Three private hospitals in Ahmedabad– Sterling Hospital, HCG Hospital & Narayana Hridayalaya– have now been notified as Covid-19 hospitals that can treat patients with charges applicable.
Three private hospitals in #Ahmedabad — Sterling Hospital, HCG Hospital & Narayana Hridayalaya have now been notif… https://t.co/jGnKZDNSYK
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) 1587359475000
*9:42am Violation of lockdown measures posing serious health hazard to public, risks spread of Covid-19: MHA to states (PTI)
* India went into Lockdown 2.0 on April 14 which will continue till May 3. The entire nation will be indoors, except to get essentials, for 39 days — an unprecedented move to ensure that the number of new positive cases and fatalities is reduced. As on Sunday morning, India had already recorded 16,000-plus positive cases and 527 deaths.
*9:26am Death toll due to Covid-19 rises to 543 in country; number of cases climb to 17,265, reports PTI quoting Union health ministry
* Municipal Commissioner Vijay Nehra has said the city has a highrisk factor because it has a population of around 80 lakh. Moreover a total of 6,000 people had come to the city from abroad, some people had visited cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Indore, and the most important reason was that the Walled City was densely populated.
* Areas on the eastern side of Sabarmati River in Ahmedabad account for nearly 90% of the total Covid-19 cases in the city – the cases have been detected from 30 out of 48 wards of Ahmedabad, said Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) officials.
*8:06am Total Covid positive cases in Gujarat reaches 1,743.
Here’s an update on the #COVIDー19 positive cases in #Gujarat, so far:Total #Covid positive Cases: 1,743Total Dea… https://t.co/AEFMUimygW
— TOI Ahmedabad (@TOIAhmedabad) 1587350148000
* With intensive testing taking place in several pockets of Ahmedabad city, Vijay Nehra, Ahmedabad municipal commissioner, on Sunday mentioned that the city is carrying out 2,490 tests per million.
* The units in Surat will continue to remain under lockdown till May 3 as most of the textile markets were the trading happens are under red zone.
* Bharuch Civil Hospital was shut down after seven staff members including two nurses, doctors and lab technicians tested positive in the last three days.
* A five-year-old boy from Banaskantha district was among the youngest patients in Gujarat to recover from the deadly novel coronavirus on Sunday.
* Gujarat registered a record high 367 positive cases in a day on Sunday. Gujarat now has 1,743 Covid-19 positive cases, the third highest tally in India after Maharashtra and Delhi. Ten more people succumbed to the virus taking the total death toll to 63.