Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday said that the Union government is responsible for the prevailing violent situation in Delhi and demanded the resignation of home minister.
Without naming Amit Shah, Sonia Gandhi said: “The Union home minister must take responsibility for violence in Delhi and should resign”.
Sonia said that a deliberate atmosphere of fear and hate has been created in the capital. The Congress leader was addressing the press conference following a meeting of the Congress Working Committee.
Delhi stir live: Intel officer found dead in violence-hit Chandbagh
“There is a conspiracy behind the violence, country also saw this during Delhi elections. Many BJP leaders made inciting comments creating an atmosphere of fear and hatred,” she said.
The Congress leader also referred to BJP leader’s speech where he had given an ultimatum to Delhi Police to remove anti-CAA protesters within three days, failing which he would take matters in his own hand.
“In the last few days, Delhi police inaction lead to the loss of twenty lives. One police constable was also killed,” she said.
“Delhi Police has remained paralysed in the last 72 hours. Around 18 lives have been lost so far, including a head constable and hundreds are in hospital, many with gunshot injuries. Violence continues unabated on the streets of North-East Delhi,” she added.
At the CWC meeting, the Congress passed a resolution where it demanded answer to the following questions —
- Where was the Home Minister and what was he doing since last Sunday?
- Where was the Chief Minister of Delhi and what was he doing since last Sunday?
- What were the reports given by the intelligence agencies in the days immediately after the conclusion of the Delhi elections and leading upto today?
- What was the strength of the police force deployed on the night of Sunday when there were clear indications that violence will break out?
- Why were additional security forces not called immediately when it was clear that the situation was beyond the control of the Delhi police?
In its resolution, the Congress also demanded the deployment of additional security forces and formation of peace communities.
“Adequate security forces must be deployed immediately to bring the situation under control. Peace committees must be formed in every mohalla consisting of members of all communities to ensure that there are no untoward incidents. Senior civil servants must be deployed in each district to take charge of the administration to ensure that the administrative machinery responds to the evolving situation. The Chief Minister of Delhi must be visible in the affected areas and in constant communication with the people,” it said.
Delhi Protests: Sonia Gandhi demands resignation of Amit Shah