Weather in Uttarakhand in March
March marks the end of winter and beginning of summer in Uttarakhand, making it an ideal time to visit this beautiful Himalayan state. With pleasant daytime temperatures and limited rainfall, the weather in Uttarakhand in March offers perfect conditions to enjoy the stunning natural scenery and outdoor activities the region is known for.
This article provides everything you need to know about Uttarakhand weather in March, including:
- Average temperatures and rainfall
- Regional weather variations
- What to pack
- Best places to visit
- Top things to do
- Major festivals and events
- Travel tips
Follow along for the complete guide to help plan your Uttarakhand trip in March.
Average Temperatures in March
The March weather in Uttarakhand brings enjoyable daytime temperatures, cooler nights, and generally dry conditions across the state. Here are the average temperatures:
- Average High: 28°C (82°F)
- Average Low: 15°C (59°F)
Mussoorie (Hill Station)
- Average High: 19°C (66°F)
- Average Low: 7°C (45°F)
Rishikesh (Yoga Capital)
- Average High: 32°C (90°F)
- Average Low: 18°C (64°F)
As you can see, the March temperature in Uttarakhand offers pleasantly warm days for sightseeing and activities, along with cooler nights. Daytime highs range from the upper teens to low 30s Celsius depending on elevation.
The plains and valleys are warmer, while higher elevation destinations like Mussoorie are cooler. However, the weather remains comfortable across the region.
Rainfall in March
The winter rainy season tails off by March, giving way to hot and dry summer conditions. Rainfall is limited this month, especially compared to the peak monsoon months of July-September.
- Dehradun receives around 20mm of rain over 4 rainy days
- Mussoorie gets about 45mm of rain over 5 rainy days
- Rishikesh averages only 10mm of rain over 2 days
This makes March one of the driest months of the year and gives travelers ample opportunities to enjoy the outdoors.
However, the odd shower can still occur, especially in the hills. So do check forecasts and pack accordingly.
Regional Weather Variations
Uttarakhand is home to a diverse landscape, spanning lush valleys, coniferous and deciduous forests, alpine meadows and snow-capped peaks. This leads to variations in March weather across different regions:
- Home to popular destinations like Rishikesh, Badrinath, and Valley of Flowers.
- March is warm and dry here with temperatures from 25°C to 35°C during the day.
- Nights are cooler at 12°C to 18°C.
- Encompassing destinations like Nainital, Almora, and Corbett National Park.
- March is slightly cooler than Garhwal with daytime highs of 18°C to 25°C.
- Nights are cold around 5°C to 12°C.
- Higher elevation regions like Auli ski resort and the Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve experience cold temperatures of -5°C to 15°C and possible snowfall in March.
- Days are pleasantly cool while night freezing.
So what should you pack?
What to Pack
The pleasant March temperatures in Uttarakhand mean you can pack light clothing like:
- T-shirts, shirts, and shorts for daytime
- Light jackets and sweaters for cooler mornings/evenings
- Caps, sunglasses, and sunscreen
- Scarves and gloves if visiting alpine regions
- Umbrella or light raincoat in case of showers
Do check weather forecasts for your specific destinations to help decide what to pack. Carrying layers allows adjusting to warmer and cooler conditions.
Best Places to Visit in March
Much of Uttarakhand offers great weather in March along with fewer tourists than other months. Here are the best places to visit:
- Yoga capital of India
- Pleasant March weather with average high of 32°C
- Dry month with minimal rainfall
- Ganga aarti, ashrams, rafting
- Popular hill station with average high of 19°C
- Blooming rhododendron flowers
- Hiking trails, mountain views
- Scenic lake town surrounded by hills
- Average temperatures of 17°C to 25°C
- Boating on Naini Lake, trekking, sightseeing
Corbett National Park
- Spot tigers and wildlife on safaris
- Dry weather provides good animal sightings
- Average highs around 25°C
- Top ski destination with possible late snowfall
- Views of Nanda Devi and Himalayan peaks
- Average of -5°C to 15°C with cold nights
- Ancient holy city along River Ganges
- Warm weather with highs around 29°C
- Evening Ganga aarti ceremony
Top Things to do
The pleasant March climate in Uttarakhand makes it perfect to enjoy outdoor activities alongside cultural attractions. Top things to do include:
- River rafting – On Ganges in Rishikesh
- Wildlife safaris – In Corbett and Rajaji National Parks
- Skiing – At Auli Ski Resort if snow permits
- Boating – On Naini Lake in Nainital
- Yoga and meditation – In Rishikesh ashrams
- Temple tours – Char Dham and Haridwar temples
- Hiking and trekking – Trails in Mussoorie, Nainital, Auli
- Mountain biking – Downhill runs in Mussoorie
- Camping – Options across state including Rishikesh, Dhanaulti, Kanatal
- Birdwatching – Pangot and Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary
The comfortable temperatures in March in Uttarakhand, along with fewer tourists, make it ideal for enjoying these activities.
Major Festivals and Events
March also brings some great festivals and events to Uttarakhand:
- Mahashivratri (March) – Statewide festival celebrating Lord Shiva
- Holi Festival (March) – Marks the end of winter with vibrant colors
- Vasant Panchami (March) – Celebrates arrival of spring
- Ram Barat (March/April) – Spectacular wedding procession for Lord Rama and Sita in Ayodhya
- Ganga Dussehra (March/April) – Celebrates River Ganges in Haridwar
The comfortable weather in Uttarakhand in March allows immersing in these lively festivals, especially Holi marked by music, dance, colors and bonfires outdoors.
To help you plan a trip and make the most of Uttarakhand’s March weather, here are some tips:
- Book accommodation in advance as March sees rising tourist numbers
- Carry warm clothing if visiting high elevation areas
- Drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen
- Check forecasts and carry umbrellas/rainwear
- Avoid swimming in cold water bodies
- Carry motion sickness medication for windy hill roads
- Expect occasional closures in alpine regions due to snow
The pleasant climate, blooming nature and adventure activities make March a fabulous time to visit Uttarakhand. Use these tips to plan your perfect spring getaway!
March brings enjoyable weather, nature’s awakening and limited rainfall to Uttarakhand. The comfortable daytime temperatures allow immersing in the region’s scenic beauty alongside thrilling outdoor activities.
From river rafting in Rishikesh to yoga retreats, wildlife safaris to skiing in Auli, there are abundant options to pick from. The possibilities are also endless for trekking, camping, boating and other adventures.