Delhi to Uttarakhand Distance to various destination in Uttarakhand, nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas, is a scenic state known for its natural beauty and spirituality. Often called the Land of Gods for its many Hindu temples and pilgrimage sites, Uttarakhand draws visitors from across India and the world. For many travelers, the journey from Delhi to Uttarakhand is the start of a memorable trip.
The distance from Delhi to Uttarakhand can vary greatly depending on your exact destination within the state. The shortest driving distance from Delhi to the Uttarakhand border is approximately 163 miles (262 km). However, the state stretches nearly 300 miles (500 km) from west to east. Key destinations like the capital city of Dehradun, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Mussoorie and Nainital are scattered across the state, ranging from 160 to 480 miles (257 to 770 km) from Delhi by air.
This comprehensive guide will equip you with everything you need to plan your Delhi to Uttarakhand journey. We will cover the distances and travel times by plane, bus, train and taxi. You’ll find a cost analysis of the different transportation options to fit varying budgets and a comparison of the fastest, most scenic and most relaxing routes. Read on to learn the key factors for choosing the best mode of transit for your trip.
Overview of Delhi to Uttarakhand Distances
The total driving distance from Delhi to the Uttarakhand border is approximately 236 km (147 miles). However, most travelers are headed to specific destinations within the state. Here’s an overview of the distances from Delhi to top Uttarakhand cities:
Distance Delhi Uttarakhand
- Dehradun (capital): approximately 257 km (160 miles) by air
- Haridwar: approximately 215 km (134 miles) by road
- Rishikesh: approximately 245 km (152 miles) by road
- Mussoorie: approximately 275 km (171 miles) by road
- Nainital: approximately 300 km (186 miles) by road
- Hemkund Sahib from Delhi approximately 510 km by road, via Rishikesh
As you can see, distances can vary quite a bit depending on your Uttarakhand destination. Now let’s look at travel times and transportation options in more detail.
Travel Time Comparisons: Plane vs Bus vs Train vs Taxi Delhi Dehradun Car
Travel time between Delhi and Uttarakhand can range from just 1 hour by plane to 16 hours by bus, depending on factors like, destination, your budget, desired level of comfort and convenience. Here’s an overview of approximate travel times by the main transportation modes for traveling delhi dehradun.
Plane Flight Delhi Uttarakhand
- Fastest option, taking just 1 hour to 1 hour 30 mins
- Non-stop flights available from Delhi to Dehradun (main airport)
- Operated by airlines like Air India, Spicejet, IndiGo
- Flights available starting from ₹3,000 per person
- Takes 6 to 12 hours one-way
- Overnight buses available for more convenient travel
- Operated by companies like Uttarakhand Transport Corporation, GMOU operate within Uttarakhand only, RSRTC & UPSRTC buses also ply between Delhi and Dehradun from ISBT Kasmiri Gate, Delhi.
- Bus tickets start from ₹300 per person for ordinary bus to ₹1200 per person for Volvo Bus servies
Train Delhi Uttarakhand
- Takes 5 to 8 hours depending on the train
- Dehradun Shatabdi covers the distance in 6 hours
- Other good train options include Nanda Devi Express, Mussoorie Express
- Train tickets start from ₹500 per person book on IRCTC official website
- Takes 4 to 8 hours depending on route and traffic
- Allows complete customization of route
- Car rentals available from Zoomcar, Myles, Avis, Uber
- Prices range from ₹5,000 to ₹11,000 for a one-way trip
As you can see, air travel is the fastest way to cover the Delhi to Uttarakhand distance, while buses and trains offer more budget-friendly options for those with more time. Taxis provide customized routes for convenience.
Cost Analysis: Plane vs Bus vs Train vs Taxi
The cost of traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand can vary dramatically based on the mode of transport:
- One-way flights start from ₹3,000 per person
- Full-service airlines like Vistara and Air India cost more
- Cheaper flights on IndiGo, Spicejet and other LCCs
- Prices fluctuate based on demand, peak seasons
- One-way tickets start from ₹300 by 2nd class govt buses
- AC Volvo buses operated by Redbus cost ₹700 to ₹1,500
- Private AC buses can cost up to ₹1,800 one-way
- 2nd class tickets start from ₹500 per person one-way
- 3AC class costs ₹750 to ₹1,200 depending on demand
- 1AC luxury class can cost over ₹3,000 per person
- One-way taxi rides start from ₹5,000
- Small cars like Maruti Swift are more affordable i.e ₹3500-4500
- SUVs like Innova cost ₹8,000 to ₹11,000 one-way
- Luxury sedans most expensive at ₹12,000+ one-way
For budget travelers, buses and 2nd class trains are the cheapest options. For fast and flexible travel, flights and taxi services merit their higher costs. Pick the option that best matches your priorities!
Transportation Options in Depth
Now let’s take an in-depth look at the major transportation modes available for traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand and key factors to consider when choosing between them.
Travelling from Delhi to Uttarakhand by Flight
For rapid transit and maximum sightseeing time, flying is the preferred option for covering the Delhi to Uttarakhand distance. Here are key details for planning your trip by air:
- Non-stop flights available from Delhi to Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun
- Air India, Spicejet, IndiGo and Vistara offer direct flights on this route
- Flight duration approximately 1 – 1.5 hours depending on aircraft
- Advance booking up to 2 months recommended for cheaper fares
- Optimal for short trips given minimal travel time
While flying is the fastest option, flight prices can fluctuate significantly during peak seasons. Travelers on a budget may find buses or trains more affordable.
Traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand by Bus
Buses offer an affordable and convenient way to travel from Delhi to Uttarakhand with good route options. Here’s what to expect when taking a bus:
- Government-run Uttarakhand Transport offer budget fares
- Private operators like RedBus run AC Volvo buses with more amenities
- Overnight buses allow you to sleep during the 8 to 12 hour journey
- Make sure to bring snacks and entertainment for the long bus ride
- Multiple stops along the way for restroom breaks
Though not the fastest transit mode, buses give you flexibility to enjoy the scenic highway views along the way. Just be ready for a long haul trip!
Traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand by Train
The extensive railway network makes trains a convenient transport choice for Delhi to Uttarakhand. Here are some tips for traveling by train:
- Fastest train is the Dehradun Shatabdi covering the distance in 6 hours
- Overnight trains like Nanda Devi Express allow you to sleep during the journey
- Choose from sleeper, 3AC, 2AC or 1AC coaches based on your budget
- Book tickets in advance online via IRCTC for best fares and availability
- Keep snacks and entertainment handy for the 5+ hour trip
With varying classes and fares, Indian Railways offers something for every budget. Just be ready for potentially large crowds during peak seasons.
Traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand by Taxi
Driving your own car or hiring a taxi gives you maximum flexibility and convenience for traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand. Here’s what you need to know:
- Ola, Uber, Zoomcar and mytaxi offer interstate taxi bookings
- Stop wherever you want along the way to admire views and take breaks
- Route entirely customizable based on your personal preferences
- Driver familiar with the
Key Factors When Choosing Transportation Mode
With the major options covered, let’s discuss key factors to consider when deciding how to travel from Delhi to Uttarakhand:
If you are crunched for time, flying is the fastest way to cover the 160 to 300 mile distance, taking just 1 to 1.5 hours. For medium range trips, the Shatabdi Express train takes about 6 hours. Buses and cars offer more flexibility but are slower.
Flights and taxis allow door-to-door service without stops or transfers. Buses pick up passengers along major routes but require some transfers. Trains are fairly convenient given the extensive railway network.
Buses and basic train classes start under ₹500 one-way, making them attractive for budget travelers. Flights typically cost upwards of ₹3,000, while taxis run from ₹5,000 to ₹12,000 one-way.
Buses, cars and trains allow you to soak in scenic highway and mountain views during the 6+ hour journey. Flights offer aerial views on clear days, but limited window time.
For maximum comfort, taxis and flights allow direct routes with ample legroom and amenities. The comfort level on buses and trains varies depending on the specific class and operator.
Travel safety across all modes is generally good, with some basic precautions advised for handling luggage on public transit. Use registered transportation providers for accountability.
Recommendations for Traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand
Based on your personal priorities, here are my top recommendations for traveling from Delhi to Uttarakhand:
On a Budget
For travelers and students on a budget, 2nd class trains and ordinary government buses provide the most affordable options to reach Uttarakhand from Delhi, starting under ₹500 one-way. Be ready for basic amenities and potential crowding during peak seasons. Traveling overnight lets you save on accommodation.
For convenience when traveling with family, the best options are AC Volvo buses or 3AC class trains, costing approximately ₹1,000 to ₹1,500 per person one-way. These provide bedding, some snacks and slightly more space than the basic classes. Leave early and bring entertainment for kids!
Couples or Solo Travelers
Renting a taxi or driving your own car allows flexibility in routes, pace and stops along the way. Hire a sedan like Maruti Swift for under ₹5,000 one-way or an SUV for ₹8,000+ if needed. Share the driving if possible. Stop frequently to enjoy views!
For Urban Professionals
To maximize time, opt for a short 1-hour flight from Delhi to Dehradun airport. Book in advance for deals under ₹3,000 one-way. Travel light and use public transport or pre-arranged taxis upon arrival for convenience. Fly on weekdays to beat crowds.
Evaluate your specific circumstances and priorities to determine the ideal mode of transit for your next Delhi to Uttarakhand trip!
Tips for an Enjoyable Delhi to Uttarakhand Trip
Here are some additional tips for making the most of your journey from Delhi to Uttarakhand:
Booking Train Tickets
- Book train tickets 90-120 days in advance for availability
- Check IRCTC website regularly for ticket releases
- Tatkal booking opens at 10am for last-minute tickets
- Pack light with just 1 or 2 bags to enable easy transit
- Carry essentials like snacks, medication, chargers
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking and trekking
- Install apps like Ola and Uber with registered accounts
- Compare prices across services and pick the best deal
- Share rides with other passengers to save costs
Traveling during Off-Season
- Visit between October and February to avoid crowds
- Hotel rates and airfares are cheapest during off-season
- Experiencing the winter charm of Uttarakhand
Breaking up the Journey
Consider stopping halfway in cities like Meerut or Ambala to break up the 6+ hour trip. Book hotels in advance for good rates.
Major Destinations in Uttarakhand
Now that you know how to get there, let’s explore some top places to visit in Uttarakhand beyond Dehradun:
- Considered the gateway to Uttarakhand and the Char Dham pilgrimage circuit
- Location of Har Ki Pauri ghat on the Ganges River
- Home to temples like Mansa Devi and Chandi Devi
- Ashrams offering spiritual retreats and yoga
- Known as the yoga capital of the world with many ashrams
- Popular spot for river rafting and adventure sports
- Lakshman Jhula and Ram Jhula suspension bridges over the Ganges
- Scenic views from hills like Neelkanth Mahadev
- One of India’s most popular hill stations at an altitude of 6,500 ft
- Offers great views of the Himalayan foothills and Doon valley
- Top attractions include Kempty Falls, Cloud’s End and Lal Tibba
- Offers activities like hiking, boating and ropeway rides
- Beautiful lake town situated in the Kumaon foothills
- Home to the scenic Naini Lake ringed by hills
- Top sites like Snow View Point, Naina Peak and Tiffin Top
- Perfect spot for boating, sailing, birdwatching and shopping
Uttarakhand offers breathtaking natural beauty, spirituality and plenty of outdoor activities for all travelers. Consult a more detailed guide to plan your itinerary and make the most of your visit!
Alternative Routes to Consider
While the direct highways from Delhi to Uttarakhand are the fastest routes, consider some alternative road trip options:
Scenic Route via Haridwar
Driving via Haridwar allows you to stop at holy places like Har ki Pauri, Rajaji National Park, the Shivalik mountain range and more along the way. The mountain roads are an adventurous drive.
Extended Road Trip, Traveling from Chandigarh
Break and route up your journey by driving to Chandigarh and spending a night there before continuing to Uttarakhand. Chandigarh has great options for shopping, food and urban sightseeing.
Extended Road Trip through West UP
Take a longer, more leisurely route passing through towns in western Uttar Pradesh like Meerut, Saharanpur, Shamli and Muzaffarnagar. Stop frequently to enjoy the countryside.
Driving through Himachal Pradesh
For a scenic mountain drive, head north through Himachal towns like Shimla, Solan and Ponta Sahib before entering Uttarakhand. Pass through valleys and foothills of the Himalayas.
Helpful Tools for Route Planning
Use these digital tools for planning your best Delhi to Uttarakhand road trip route:
- Google Maps: Offers driving directions with real-time traffic updates
- Uber and Ola: Get distance and fare estimates for interstate taxi trips
- MakeMyTrip: Compare flight, train and bus fares and timings
- RedBus: Compare prices and classes across bus providers
- IRCTC: Book train tickets online and view train schedules
- ZeeMaps: Create custom driving routes to visualize your road trip
Travelling from Delhi to Uttarakhand is the start of an epic journey. By evaluating your priorities and budget, you can choose the ideal mode of transit ranging from budget-friendly buses and trains to convenient flights and taxis. Optimize your booking timelines, pack strategically and use route planning tools to maximize comfort and enjoyment. The rewards will be stunning mountain vistas, adventures and spiritual awakening. Have a safe and memorable trip!